The Hague

Settling in

How do I register in the Municipality?

When staying for over 4 months in the Netherlands, you need to register with the Municipality and get a Burgerservicenummer (BSN). You need to go with your family to the Town Hall in your city (for those living in The Hague area, you need to go to the office located in the Spui) within 5 days after arrival. For more information visit

How do I register a newborn?

Newborns should be registered in the local Municipality within 3 days of birth. The father (or authorized person) should bring an ID, the mother’s ID, a statement from the doctor or midwife, a marriage certificate or deed of acknowledgement (for the father to acknowledge the child). For more information please refer to our ‘Having a baby in the Netherlands document’. Contact us at

What do I need to bring in order to open a bank account?

You need to bring a valid ID, your residence permit (if you come from outside the EU), a proof of address (like a tenancy agreement) and your Burgerservicenummer (BSN). The major banks in the Netherlands are ABN Amro, ING and Rabobank. For more information please contact us at