The Hague

Career and Development FAQ

Where can I start with my job search in NL as a Shell partner?

Getting a job usually involves most of the following: defining your skills and experience, updating your CV, understanding how employers recruit, researching the employment market and vacancies in the country, networking to unearth hidden opportunities and raise your profile, targeting your CV in the light of your research and then preparing for job interviews.

The careers and development team of Outpost assists partners of shell employees with their job search via one to one coaching sessions.  To book a session, send an email to:

1. How do I register my business in NL?

Every business has to register in the trade registry of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel). You can register your company in the trade register up to one week before your start-up date. For general requirements and guide on how to register your business, refer to section 6 of our Partner Employment and Study Guide in the publication library of our website.  

 2.  Where can I get help on updating my CV?

Outpost the Hague has a team of three Career and Development Advisors who can assist you with updating your CV and giving you valuable feedback. They will also be happy to assist you in targeting your CV to a particular job.  You can contact them via:

3.  I want to learn Dutch. Where should I start my research for language courses?

Shell has a language learning policy. If you would like to receive this policy please send an email to:

Outpost The Hague also has a list of language schools for Dutch and English languages located in The Hague, Rijswijk and Rotterdam. You will find the documents in the publication library of our website.

4. I would like to engage in voluntary work.  Where should I start to look for opportunities?

Voluntary work is a good way to use and develop your personal skills and experience while contributing to society. There are many opportunities for voluntary work in the Netherlands. It can sometimes lead to paid employment and provide opportunities to maintain and upgrade skills, network, learn Dutch and build self-esteem. It can also provide valuable working experience to include in your CV. To view a list of general volunteering opportunities in the Netherlands, please refer to section 7 of Partner Employment and Study Guide in the publication library of our website or send an email to: to discuss options with a Career and Development Advisor.

 5. I want to follow a course in English. Which institutions and universities offer courses in English?

The Netherlands organisation for international cooperation in higher education, Nuffic gives an excellent overview of international study programmes and courses. For more information on the Dutch education system and list of courses in English, please refer to section 8.1 of our Partner Employment and Study Guide in the publication library of our website.

6. Where can I have my foreign diploma evaluation checked?

Holders of foreign degrees wishing to work or study in the Netherlands sometimes need an evaluation of foreign degrees and diplomas. This procedure is called diploma vergelijking or diploma waardering (foreign credential or diploma evaluation).

There are two centres of expertise in the Netherlands: Nuffic in The Hague and SBB (Samenwerking Beroepsonderwijs Bedrijfsleven) in Zoetermeer. For information on the procedure you can contact the combined information desk at the Informatiecentrum Diploma Waardering (Information Centre for Credential Evaluation). It acts as a central desk where applications for credential evaluation can be submitted.

For more information regarding foreign diploma evaluation, please refer to section 3.3 of our Partner Employment and Study Guide in the publication library of our website.

7. Can I build up a pension independent of my Partner’s while we are on assignment?

Shell Partners often ask how they can build up a pension independent of their partner’s while on an assignment. At a basic level, if you live abroad as an accompanying partner, you normally cease to have rights to your home country’s state pension, if such a scheme exists. It is usually possible to avoid this loss by paying a minimum level of voluntary contributions to the state scheme in your home country. If you do work, refer to whether the Netherlands and your home country have reciprocal social security/pension agreements. In these countries, compulsory contributions paid in the Dutch State scheme also count towards your old age pension. For more information, please refer to section 3.5 of our Partner Employment and Study Guide in the publication library of our website.